[OutVoice] Even more pop culture that's "Stranger Than Straight" + global GLBTnews

TWORadio at aol.com TWORadio at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 03:54:50 CST 2006

      To listen to this week's "This Way Out" copy/paste into your browser:
          www.planetout.com/support/media.html?file=/two/two20060116.rm
               or click on the PlanetOut link at www.thiswayout.org
[our current show is usually up by Wednesday nights US Pacific Time each week]
   or check thiswayout.org for our 150+ local broadcast station affiliates
                           The week of 01/16/06 on
                          T H I S    W A Y    O U T
   (hosted this week by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
 An innuendo-armed collector shares more that's "Stranger Than Straight";
A crackdown in India raises human rights and HIV concerns, a Jamaican man
 drowns fleeing an anti-gay mob, Australia speaks now but withholds peace
 from its gay man's Dutch wedding, adoption rights follow UK partnership
     legalization, New Jersey extends rights to same-gender couples,
 prosecution of Polish Pride marchers is proscribed, and more GLBT news

* In "NewsWrap": India's government faces renewed pressure from human rights
groups and UNAIDS over its colonial-era sodomy law on the heels of the arrests
of 4 gay men in an Internet "sting" and increasing harassment at gay
venues... a man being chased by an anti-gay mob to his death is the latest in the
continuing violence against queers in Jamaica... Australia's government refuses to
certify the "single" status of its overseas lesbigay citizens who need that
document to marry their same gender partners in countries where it's legal...
adoption rights for unmarried hetero and queer couples become official in
England and Wales, while in the U.S. two bills enhancing lesbigay couples' rights
are overwhelmingly approved by the New Jersey state legislature... courts in
Poznan, Poland refuse to charge queer rights demonstrators for "illegally
gathering" at a Pride march there in November... there's "Brokeback Mountain"
screening strife in Utah and Queensland... and other GLBT news from around the world
(written this week by Greg Gordon and Jon Beaupre and reported by JON BEAUPRE
and CHRISTOPHER GAAL).

* The legendary American DJ known as "Dr. Demento" raised audio kitsch to an
artform.  As "NURSE PIMENTO," Southern California gay activist and radio
producer DAVID FRADKIN added his own kind of spice in pursuing the peculiarities of
popular culture.  We got a nice dose of the late Fradkin's unique collection
of music, film, and comedy recordings on last week's show.  The practitioner
makes a follow-up visit to conclude the early 80's presentation he called
"STRANGER THAN STRAIGHT" (Part 2 of 2, this week featuring a brief musical snippet
by EDIE GORME, an obscure song of uncertain origin by DANNY KAYE, the words of
Holocaust teen diarist ANNE FRANK, a witty ditty by the ever-so-sophisticated
NOEL COWARD, a Sandy Dennis/George Segal film clip from "Who's Afraid of
Virginia Woolf", and BESSIE SMITH singing and her niece RUBY talking with Chris
Albertson about an especially entertaining "Buffet Flat").
"This Way Out" is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit under the corporate name
of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.).
Some "This Way Out" operating expenses are funded through direct
tax-deductible charitable donations from our listeners -- thank you!
==> Please visit www.thiswayout.org to learn how *you* can help keep "This
Way Out" on the air.
And thanks to the StoneWall Society you can still bid on some terrific items
in an online auction to benefit "This Way Out" -- look for our area at
www.alternabid.com.
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally distribed weekly gay and lesbian radio newsmagazine.
The program currently airs on over 150 local community radio stations around
the world, via satellite in the U.S. on the Public Radio Satellite System and
Pacifica's KU band, "Down Under" through distribution by the Community
Broadcasting Association of Australia's ComRadSat, globally via the A-INFOS Internet
Project at www.radio4all.net and Pacifica's Audioport, and on audio CD from
the producers.  Listeners can also hear "This Way Out" online on PlanetOut.com,
on short wave via Costa Rica-based global station RFPI (Radio For Peace
International/www.rfpi.org), across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific
regions on the World Radio Network (www.wrn.org), and on audio CD by
individual subscription.
For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit
www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA
90038-0327.
************** Thank you for supporting "This Way Out"! ***************