[OutVoice] new NYC open mic for jazz artists

THEMUSENYC at aol.com THEMUSENYC at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 10:48:38 CST 2006

Attn: Jazz singers and instrumentalists:   you rare and wondrous creatures -

There's a new jazz open mic   in NYC that is quite special and has really
taken off.
Is hosted by LaRe (pronounced as in the musical solfeg!)
Interested performers can contact her at:  LaRe212 at aol.com
for details.   The next one is on Tuesday.March 7, 8pm
at PENANG LOUNGE on Columbus Ave at 71st.

The Penang Lounge is one of the best kept live music secrets on Manhattan's
upper west side. It's in the cellar of the original legendary Victor's cuban
cafe. In addition to the music, there great Malaysian cuisine and full bar.   My
better half Morgan runs the place so I got to check out the scene first hand.

There's a totally pro jazz backup group onstage that can handle anything - so
singers/instrumentalists get to front a full band for their piece.   The
night I was there, additionally at the end the band played one big standard and
everyone could get up and take turns singing/playing a round.

Some jazz notables who attended:
 Wycliffe Gordon   - world class JAZZ trombonist who tours/performs w/Wynton
- he came to sit in the 1st week! the second week- the lead starring
role...Mr. Rome Neal...who plays MONK (thelonius monk in the off bdwy-toring the
US-came to sit in and sing! the third week i had a celebrity standard Jazz lyricist
who wrote lyrics to "blue Monk" came to play!

luv
robert urban
URBAN PRODUCTIONS, NYC
www.roberturban.com