[OutVoice] the latest regarding "QueerWaves"/KOOP

CAGETAYLOR at aol.com CAGETAYLOR at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 10:30:28 CST 2006

We may be back this weekend..stay tuned!
Love, Taylor

91.7FM - KOOP  Radio
P.O. Box  2116 | Austin, TX 78768-2116
T 512.484.3440 | www.koop.org
"Best Radio Programming in Austin"
 2004 AUSTIN CHRONICLE Reader's Poll

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 20,  2006
CONTACT:     Amy Wright, Station  Manager              Andrew  Dickens, Board
President
_info at koop.org_ (mailto:info at koop.org)
_InspirationsRadio at hotmail.com_ (mailto:InspirationsRadio at hotmail.com)
(512) 207-0710                                         (512)426-3273
Community  Support Vitalizes KOOP Recovery  Effort
(Austin,  TX)---It has been two weeks since  KOOP 91.7FM sustained nearly
$100,000 worth of damage from a four-alarm  blaze.  Since then, community
organizations and individuals have rallied and raised over $20,000 to help the
station recover and relocate.  In  the coming months, a slew of benefit events are
being planned to help raise  money for the station.
After taking stock of the damage and considering the costs of moving  and
build-out, the station still faces a lot of uncertainties.  “We don’t know how
much money we will  recover from insurance or how much of a building credit we
will get from our new  landlord,” said Station Manager Amy Wright.  “What we
do know is we suffered $100,000  in damage to studio equipment, furniture, and
the music library.  And, we know we will spend at least  double the amount we
used to pay for rent.”
In addition, KOOP expects to pay roughly $15,000 for build-out of a
permanent studio space in coming months.  While Board President Andrew Dickens has
arranged to  temporarily lease studio space, he points out that the new location “
is just an  empty room right now, so it will take roughly a week or so to get
back on the  air in a limited capacity.”  With a  goal of a mid-week return
to the airwaves, the short-term effort includes  installing a transmitter ISDN
and using a patchwork of donated studio equipment  from KEOS Radio in College
Station.
The effort for permanent relocation  has been made easier by several generous
donations in the past two weeks  including Charity Partners of Austin
($2,000), the  DELL Foundation  ($2,500) and the Austin Babtist Women on behalf of
the  Texas Gay Rodeo Association Austin Chapter ($3,529.71).  A series of
benefit shows raised $4,100  and individual donations on KOOP’s website
(_www.koop.org_ (http://www.koop.org/) ) have generated an additional  $8,500.  KOOP Radio
also thanks  Beerland, Taco Xpress, Ten Thousand Villages, Ruta Maya, Buffalo
 Exchange, Beerland, H & H Ballroom, Shoal Creek Saloon, KMFA, KUT, KVRX,
Clear Channel Austin, and Border Media Partners for  contributing to the
recovery effort.
Additional benefit shows are slated  in the coming month, including:
1)       The Sinus Show presents TOP GUN – ONE  SCREENING ONLY!!
Thursday, Feb 23 (9:45pm)
Alamo  Drafthouse South (1120 S. Lamar)
Admission: $10.50
2)       KOOP Movie Night Screening: THE  TAKE
Monday, Feb 27 (8:00pm)
Monkey Wrench Books (110  E. North Loop  Blvd)
3)       Ruta Maya Monday Concert  Series
Monday, Mar 6, 13, 20, & 27
Ruta Maya International Headquarters (3601 South Congress  Ave)
Performances by: The  Normans, Things That Go Pop!, Nathan Hamilton, Wammo
and Sick, Guy Forsyth and  more!
4)       SXSW Day Show w/ MAGIC MARKER  RECORDS
Saturday, Mar 18 (2-6pm)
Obsolete, Inc. (2207  East 5th St)
KOOP Radio provides  high quality, innovative and diverse programming with an
emphasis on those  communities that are under-served or ignored by the
mainstream media.  KOOP is Austin’s community-owned, community-operated  public
radio station and has been broadcasting at 91.7FM since  1994.