[OutVoice] About the Outmusic Awards...Have you thought of this angle?

Jddoyle1 at aol.com Jddoyle1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 2 16:06:03 CST 2006

Hi, Y'all...
   This is that Houston radio producer sticking in his two cents again. I
posted this last year, but it's just as timely now......it's about the Outmusic
Awards. I know you noticed the announcement that the Outmusic Board is
accepting submissions now, in 10 categories, for the 2006 OMA's, and that the deadline
is coming upon us...it's February 10th at midnight. Details on them can be
found at http://www.outmusic.com/.

I'd love to see as many folks submit as possible, and it's easy for
non-members to also submit their CD, so tell your friends. But that's not the real
point of my posting this. I was honored to be a judge the last few years, and I
realized an extra insight into the process. And, as I'm not on the OM Board,
perhaps I can get away with this comment.

I think there's an advantage to artists to submit their CD that they may not
have thought of. And that is, even if they do not think they have much of a
chance to be nominated, they are still being heard by a panel of judges who are
EXACTLY the market they want to reach, as far as getting potential exposure.
These are the people, the music journalists, the radio producers and DJs, and
industry pros, that you want to hear your music. I think this alone (for
non-members) would be worth the submission fee. And for members, there's only the
little bit of paper work, no excuse not to do it.

I remember last year during the judging process that I was so taken with
several artists who were new to me that I stopped in the middle of my judging to
email the artist to request a copy of their CD. And several of them ended up
later on our Audiofile segments. It's a win-win situation. February 10th will be
here before you know it. Submit those CDs, ya hear...:)

JD Doyle

my "Queer Music Heritage" radio show site:
http://www.queermusicheritage.com
my Outradio site:
http://www.outradio.com
and co-producer of Audiofile, the monthly
radio review of CDs of interest to the GLBT
communities, airing on over 150 stations
around the world on This Way Out.
The Audiofile site is at www.Audiofile.org
and all past Audiofile segments are archived
at http://www.queermusicheritage.com/af.html
Also co-host of Queer Voices on KPFT, every
Monday night from 7-9 pm, www.queervoices.org
and at MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/jddoyle