[OutVoice] Jersey City, NJ: "An Iconic Piece for the Theatre"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 16:22:39 CDT 2006

EXIT WEEKLY

AN ICONIC PIECE FOR THE THEATRE
By LANI BUESS

Jade Esteban Estrada--all done up like Ellen DeGeneres returns to Jersey City
to show some pride. Photo by PETER DIANTONI.

August 16, 2006

Read it online:
http://exitweekly.com/entry.php?id=376

Texas native Jade Esteban Estrada has been called by some the “master
entertainer.” He’s performed in 33 countries and in seven different languages. His
music has been heard on FX’s “The Shield.” He was named the Funniest Amateur
Comic in New York in 1994. He was even connected to Madonna’s lead dancer
during her Blonde Ambition Tour.

Now he’s the star of his one-man show titled “ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay
History of the World, Vol. 1,” portraying gay and lesbian characters throughout
time. Watch out Ellen DeGeneres!

“I’m a history buff, because of my job I’m in constant contact with human
rights activists all over the world,” said Estrada. “So I’m going to hear a lot
about Matthew Shepard [who was murdered in Laramie, Wyo. in an anti-gay
crime]. I’m going to hear a lot about same-sex marriage. So I can’t help but think
about the historical perspective.”

Estrada’s show presents depictions of Michelangelo and Oscar Wilde to
Gertrude Stein and DeGeneres through song, dance and perfect comedic timing.

“My shows have brought me closer to American history and American culture,”
he added.

Estrada isn’t a stranger to Jersey City Pride. He hosted the event in 2003
and 2004 and performed his ICONS 2 show in 2005.

“There are a couple of cities I keep coming back to,” said Estrada, “Jersey
City is one of the top ones.”

ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History of the World, Vol. 1
starring JADE ESTEBAN ESTRADA
Jersey City Museum
350 Montgomery Street
Wednesday, August 23, 2006