[OutVoice] musical things of interest in recent related gay works

themusenyc at aol.com themusenyc at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 10:47:34 CDT 2006

Hey gang -

playing catch-up and while I'm thinking of it - here's some musical
things of interest related to recent gay films, books, etc. - RU

In speaking with author Armistead Maupin recently, I learned of a
musical work that was new to me - of interest to queer music
enthusiasts -

"Maupin's literary works have lent themselves to all kinds of artistic
treatments. As a librettist, he collaborated with composer Jake Heggie
on Anna Madrigal Remembers, a musical work based on Tales of the City.
Perhaps the only choral chamber piece ever written for a transsexual
character, the composition received its world premiere in 1999 in San
Francisco." - RU

my full profile of Maupin is up at: http://www.afterelton.com
__________________________________

I've had to cover many "gay" films released this summer at gay film
fests. My fav of all i think is actually a foreign film -  It's called
GO WEST and is not just a "gay" film, but also a fascinating anti-war
film - with music as one of its underlying themes. - I highly recommend
this film.

"Homosexuality and aesthetics act as metaphors for each other in Go
West. Kenan as Milena resorts to playing his cello to try and maintain
his sanity. His music, his art, his gay nature are clearly contrasted
against all the war driven madness around him. Music is especially
positioned as a lone civilizing element in a country falling apart." -
RU

my full review of GO WEST at:
http://afterelton.com/movies/2006/7/gowest.html

by the by, I've also heard that composer Jake Heggie and lyricist
Terrance McNally are at work on a new opera about MOBY DICK (!)

speaking of Maupin -  I had the pleasure to meet and talk with NIGHT
LISTENER star Toni Collette and director Patrick Stettner recently - my
profile of them is at:
http://afterelton.com/people/2006/8/collette.html

Robert Urban
URBAN PRODUCTIONS, NYC