[OutVoice] Advice about finishing a CD with VERY limited resources.

Freddy Freeman freddy at freddyfreeman.com
Thu Apr 27 10:50:51 CDT 2006

To my peers in this crazy world of independent music making -

I am trying to finish a new CD. I have recordings of a band from a studio in NY, but I do not have Pro-Tools, or correct monitor speakers. I have been mixing everything as best I can using ACID Pro. I have most of the tracks all laid out and a lot of them just need a new vocal and some mixing. I cannot afford any new equipment like monitors and only have monitor headphones. I think my tracks sound pretty good, even when burned and played on the stereo or in the car, but I want them to be able to sound as professional as possible. I am not an engineer and any EQ and compression decisions have been trial and error. Now as I think about completing the project and getting ready for manufacture, I am concerned about knowing how to format the final mixes, whether to compress the tracks, do I have harsh frequencies?, etc. These are things I know are addressed in Mastering, but I simply cannot afford a professional mastering job. I have gotten advice to wait until I CAN afford these things before going ahead, but I have been trying to get this thing made for 5 years and it has come to the point where I need to do the best I can with the resources available to me and get this CD out this year. I am going to have to compromise if I want to release this record in my lifetime. I was hoping someone might have some advice about techniques I could use, information resources, low cost alternatives, or anything else you think might help me get the best final product I can with what I have to work with. I know that my record may have some minor sonic flaws, but I am most concerned with doing the best I can and getting something out there that I am proud. I am confident that the music and performances are strong enough that it will be a great record. I'm just reaching out into the universe to see what other resources might come my way. Just put it out there, thats what they say !

Freddy Freeman
Winner of the Stonewall Society 2005 Genre Award for "Steam"
2006 Outmusician of the Year Award Nominee
Promoter of Bearapalooza - a Celebration of Fur in Music
615 -366 - 0145
www.freddyfreeman.com