[OutVoice] "THIS WAY OUT" LOST IN CYBERSPACE?

TWORadio at aol.com TWORadio at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 17:19:20 CDT 2006

                   "THIS WAY OUT" LOST IN CYBERSPACE,
                     FACES NEW FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

International LGBT radio show cancelled by LGBT Internet giant, leaving
the non-profit broadcasters off-line and cash-strapped.

For Immediate Release: April 24, 2006
"This Way Out"/Overnight Productions (Inc.)
Contact: Greg Gordon, Coordinating Producer
(home/office) 818-986-4106
TWOradio at aol.com/www.thiswayout.org
(An MSW attached version of this press release is available upon request.)

Los Angeles - One of the LGBT online world's longest-lasting
relationships will come to an end when "This Way Out: The International
Gay and Lesbian Radio Magazine" concludes its nearly 11-year run on
PlanetOut.com.  Overnight Productions, the non-profit group that produces
and distributes the weekly community-based program, has been informed
that PlanetOut will not be renewing its exclusive Internet licensing
agreement when it expires in mid-June.  The termination leaves the
groundbreaking show not only searching for a new online home, but even
more urgently scrambling for the funds to replace PlanetOut's $1,000
monthly licensing fee that has become its only reliable income.

Even before PlanetOut's official launch in 1995 -- and before most people
saw the potential of Internet audio -- founder Tom Rielly solicited "This
Way Out" Coordinating Producer Greg Gordon for exclusive webcasting
rights.  On the air since 1988, the award-winning show was already being
distributed free to over 100 local community radio stations around the
world, supporting its shoestring budget through grants, private
donations, and mostly volunteer labor.  The infusion of PlanetOut money
was a terrific relief at the time, and as the competition for non-profit
funding sources grew fiercer, "This Way Out" became increasingly
dependent on PlanetOut to stay afloat.

"'This Way Out' has had its share of near-death experiences, but rarely in
our history has the team been as anxious about its future," says Gordon.
Still, he insists, "we remain optimistic about finding alternative
funding to underwrite our modest $750-per-program budget."  Overnight
Productions Board Chair Jon Beaupre adds, "Were trying to identify
potential major donors, and asking for contributions and other
fundraising assistance from anyone who can help."  A just-awarded $5,000
grant from the Kicking Assets Fund of the Tides Foundation provides about
enough cash to cover "This Way Out's" expenses for a few weeks beyond the
end of the PlanetOut contract June 15th.

The inspiration to carry on comes from the shows passionate, thirsty
audience.  "We get email from listeners all over the world - especially in
places where being out can literally be lethal - telling us that the
program is their lifeline," says Associate Producer Lucia Chappelle.
That's why she says the team is adamant about their mission "to provide
the program free to community stations, many of whom can't afford to pay
for it, and to distribute it through as many different income-producing
media outlets as we can."  Beaupre is also developing a plan to podcast
the show.

"PlanetOut's decision was based on the company's business requirements,"
explains Managing Editor Julie Ross, "and certainly does not indicate any
lack of respect for and appreciation of 'This Way Out' and its staff.  We're
so grateful for the consistently wonderful, enlightening and entertaining
content the show has provided over the years.  'This Way Out' is a fine
product and we at PlanetOut Inc. would truly love to see it receive the
community support it deserves in order to continue and thrive on its own."

Inquiries about online carriage of "This Way Out" are welcomed.  To view
the current carriage list of more than 150 local broadcast stations,
along with short wave, satellite to home and cable outlets, to make
donations online (U.S. tax-deductible), or for other information, visit
thiswayout.org, email TWORadio at aol.com, or write to "This Way Out" at
P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038.

To listen online to the most recently-uploaded "This Way Out" program
copy/paste into your browser:
www.planetout.com/support/media.html?file=/two/two20060417.rm
and/or try this week's program (featuring an "Audiofile" segment), when it's
been posted, at
www.planetout.com/support/media.html?file=/two/two20060424.rm

                             -30-