[OutVoice] Doing covers legally

Jay Spears jay at jayspears.com
Wed Apr 19 21:10:11 CDT 2006

Hey Freddy --

I'm putting a cover tune on my new CD.  I paid $89 for the "compulsory
license" at Harry Fox ( http://harryfox.com/index.jsp ), and I'll pay a
royalty for every CD I sell.  I know I would want anyone who wants to
cover one of my tunes to do the same, no matter how "small" they think
they are.  Besides, I LOVE the song I'm covering, and would love to
give the songwriter some money for his work.  I want people to do the
same for me!

Besides, why not think big, & play like the big boys play?  No one is
smaller than me right now -- but just you wait, maybe this very cover
tune will help drive my new album, as the Beatles used to dream before
they were big, "to the toppermost of the poppermost".

That's my tuppence.

Cheers, bro!

Jay

Jay Spears
Boy Howdy!
jay at jayspears.com
http://www.jayspears.com

Not since, maybe, Randy Newman, have I heard a body of work so packed
with unique songs. -- MITCH GALLOB, Streeter Music

Los Angeles singer-songwriter Jay Spears is just the kind of troubadour
that the gay world needs. -- JASON ROUSH, Aug 28 BAY WINDOWS, "New
England's Largest Gay & Lesbian Newspaper"

BOY HOWDY is a cheering affirmation of gay love. -- JASON VICTOR
SERINUS (The New York Blade, North Carolina's Q-Notes, The Washington
Blade, The Southern Voice, San Diego Update, The Gay Outlook)